My custom Dual CS-505 plinth

Since I remember I always liked the ritual of put a vinyl on the record player, lift the needle, and gently lower it till it touches the surface and starts playing some pops them a room filling sound. My father had a great music collection, I grew up listening to Pink Floyd, The Doors, Dire Straits and so on, so my music taste is heavily influenced by these genres.

Some years ago I started creating my own vinyl collection, but I needed some focus in terms of type of music. I choose Progressive Rock, and slowly, with my savings I grew a modest but focused collection of ~160 vinyl records. You can see it here.
The collection includes from Symphonic Prog, Psychedelic Prog, Canterbury Prog etc. And of course some out of place, guilty pleasures here and there.

Once again, the young me grew up also listening to great sound systems, custom speakers and amplifiers, so building and get some of these type of things was a matter of time. I will talk about my current amplifier in another blog so this one is more focused on the current record player and his modifications.

It is a Dual CS-505-4 that I project and build a custom plinth for it.

Some wood work pics in here:

 

Before and after images:



The needle I'm using right now is a Audio Technica AT-120e, a bit bright sound but very clear with my setup. 




Comments

  1. Nice , could i possibly get a drawing with dimensions ? Would like very much to upgrade the plastic plinth under my Dual 505.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I don't have it, it was a project from long time ago. I used the plastic base as reference though

      Delete

Post a Comment